Current:Home > ContactStellantis recalls 332,000 vehicles over faulty seat belt sensor -WealthX
Stellantis recalls 332,000 vehicles over faulty seat belt sensor
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 17:25:33
Stellantis is recalling 332,000 Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Jeep vehicles because sensors on their seat belt connectors are not working properly.
The recall covers the following vehicles made by Stellantis:
- Alfa Romeo Giulia, model years 2017-2024
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio, model years 2018-2025
- Fiat 500E, model year 2024
- Fiat 500X, model years 2019-2023
- Jeep Renegade, model years 2019-2023
Stellantis said it has received 578 reports about the faulty sensor as of June 26, but isn't aware of any accidents or injuries related to the issue.
"A seat belt buckle switch sensor may be improperly connected, preventing the front seat air bag from deploying as intended," Stellantis said in recall documents filed with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
The faulty sensors were installed in the vehicles between September 2016 and June 2024. Stellantis said it will fix the sensor issue for free for owners "by directly wiring the sensor to the harness with a solder tube." Owners must take their vehicle to a local dealership for the repairs, according to the company.
Alfa Romeo, Fiat or Jeep owners who need the repair will be notified by Stellantis by mail around August 22. Owners that have already paid for repairs for the sensor issue can be reimbursed by Stellantis after submitting the original receipt of the service, the company said.
Owners with questions about the recall can contact Fiat Chrysler Automobiles at (800) 853-1403 and give reference number 82B. Owners can also contact NHTSA (888) 327-4236.
The seat belt sensor is the latest in a series of recalls for Stellantis this year. Last month, the automaker recalled almost 1.2 million vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to fix a software glitch that can disable the rearview cameras. The recall covered Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Ram pickup trucks and SUVs.
In March, Stellantis also recalled thousands of Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 cars because of a manufacturing defect that could cause airbags to rupture, spraying metal fragments around the cabin. In February, the company recalled more than 338,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees because of a ball joint issue that could result in a loss of control by the driver, potentially leading to a crash.
Stellantis was formed in 2021 when Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles formally merged with France's Groupe PSA. Stellantis also produces Chrysler, Dodge and Ram Truck vehicles in the U.S. along with a number of foreign brands, including Citroën, Opel and Peugeot.
- In:
- Stellantis
- Jeep
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch. He previously worked as a reporter for the Omaha World-Herald, Newsday and the Florida Times-Union. His reporting primarily focuses on the U.S. housing market, the business of sports and bankruptcy.
TwitterveryGood! (58)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- China launches lunar probe, looking to be 1st nation to get samples from far side of moon
- Darvin Ham out as Lakers coach after two seasons
- Hulk Hogan, hurricanes and a blockbuster recording: A week in review of the Trump hush money trial
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Gambling bill to allow lottery and slots remains stalled in the Alabama Senate
- A Black lawmaker briefly expelled from the Tennessee Statehouse will remain on the 2024 ballot
- Kyle Richards Drops Mauricio Umansky's Last Name From Her Instagram Amid Separation
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Nick Viall and Wife Natalie Joy Reveal F--ked Up Hairstylist Walked Out on Wedding Day
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Congressman praises heckling of war protesters, including 1 who made monkey gestures at Black woman
- MLB announces changes to jerseys for 2025 after spring controversy
- Bird flu outbreak: Don't drink that raw milk, no matter what social media tells you
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Conception dive boat captain Jerry Boylan sentenced to 4 years in prison for deadly fire
- Torrential rains inundate southeastern Texas, causing flooding that has closed schools and roads
- Three groups are suing New Jersey to block an offshore wind farm
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Trevor Noah Reacts to Being Labeled Loser Over His Single Status at Age 40
The Force Is Strong With This Loungefly’s Star Wars Collection & It’s Now on Sale for May the Fourth
Mississippi city council member pleads guilty to federal drug charges
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
'Freedom to Learn' protesters push back on book bans, restrictions on Black history
Court appearance for country star Morgan Wallen in chair-throwing case postponed until August
Captain sentenced to four years following deadly fire aboard dive boat Conception in California