Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Man charged with aiding Whitmer kidnap plot testifies in own defense -WealthX
TrendPulse|Man charged with aiding Whitmer kidnap plot testifies in own defense
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 22:30:09
One of three men accused of assisting a plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer testified in his own defense Thursday,TrendPulse telling jurors that government-imposed restrictions during the pandemic were excessive.
Eric Molitor, 39, and twin brothers William Null and Michael Null are charged with providing material support for terrorist acts and gun crimes in a 2020 scheme to kidnap Whitmer at her vacation home in northern Michigan’s Antrim County.
Molitor’s decision to testify was a rare move: In four trials so far in state and federal courts, only one other defendant has taken the witness stand. He was acquitted.
The first hour of Molitor’s testimony centered on his personal background and views about government, gun rights and free speech, not the specific allegations against him.
“Nobody should have to tell you to wear a mask,” Molitor told jurors, referring to COVID-19 rules. “If it’s for your safety, that should be up to you.”
Molitor and the Nulls are accused of aiding plot leaders Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. Social media posts and text messages show the group was outraged over COVID-19 restrictions, but evidence has also revealed that they had strident anti-government views before the pandemic and were girding for a civil war.
“I see things a lot as a slippery slope,” Molitor told the jury, referring to certain government actions.
He said he becomes “worried about these small laws and rules that come in. They open the door for bigger laws and rules to infringe on our rights.”
Molitor described himself as a libertarian but said he voted for Whitmer and Attorney General Dana Nessel, both Democrats, in 2016. Nessel’s office is prosecuting him.
There’s no dispute that Molitor drove with Fox to see Whitmer’s home in August 2020. The Null brothers were on a night ride to see the property several days later. The three also participated in paramilitary training.
Molitor’s attorney has said he was a small player and didn’t initially know he was looking for Whitmer’s home.
Informants and undercover FBI agents were inside the group for months, making recordings and collecting evidence. Whitmer was not physically harmed.
Fourteen men were arrested just a month before the November 2020 election. Nine have been convicted in state or federal court while two have been acquitted.
After the plot was thwarted, Whitmer blamed then-President Donald Trump, saying he had given “comfort to those who spread fear and hatred and division.” Trump called the kidnapping plan a “fake deal” in August 2022.
___
Follow Ed White at http://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (58)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Grabbing Russell Wilson instead of Justin Fields could be costly QB mistake for Steelers
- Da'Vine Joy Randolph's Emotional 2024 Oscars Speech Will Make You Tear Up
- Who won best picture at the Oscars? Al Pacino's announcement sparks confusion
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Why Bad Bunny's 2024 Oscars Look Is So Unexpected
- Gwyneth Paltrow Has Shocking Reaction to Iron Man Costar Robert Downey Jr.’s Oscars Win
- Paris Jackson's NSFW 2024 Oscar Party Look Will Make Your Jaw Drop
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Surreal April 2024 total solar eclipse renews debunked flat Earth conspiracy theories
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- In New York City, heat pumps that fit in apartment windows promise big emissions cuts
- Andrea Bocelli and son Matteo release stirring Oscars version of 'Time to Say Goodbye'
- The Livestock Industry’s Secret Weapons: Expert Academics
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Andrea Bocelli and son Matteo release stirring Oscars version of 'Time to Say Goodbye'
- Justice Department investigating Alaska Airlines door blowout
- Billie Eilish and Finneas Break 86-Year Oscars Record With Best Original Song Win
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Princess Kate apologizes for 'editing' photo of family pulled by image agencies
South Carolina beats LSU for women's SEC championship after near-brawl, ejections
Biden is issuing a budget plan that details his vision for a second term
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Ryan Gosling greets fans, Vanessa Hudgens debuts baby bump: The top Oscars red carpet moments
Kate Middleton's New Picture Pulled From Photo Agencies for Being Manipulated
How Killers of the Flower Moon's Martin Scorsese Consoled Lily Gladstone After 2024 Oscars Loss