Current:Home > ScamsEthermac|'Only by God's mercy that I survived': Hajj became a death march for 1,300 in extreme heat -WealthX
Ethermac|'Only by God's mercy that I survived': Hajj became a death march for 1,300 in extreme heat
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:14:42
The Ethermacannual Muslim pilgrimage to the sacred city of Mecca that wrapped up last week became a death march for over 1,300 Hajj participants who died in temperatures that climbed above 124 degrees.
Saudi Arabia's health minister Fahad Al-Jalajel, who on Sunday announced a death total of 1,301, blamed the fatalities on pilgrims "walking long distances under direct sunlight without adequate shelter or comfort."
The 5-6 day odyssey of hiking and prayer drew almost 2 million pilgrims from around the world. Fatalities included a number of elderly people and those suffering from chronic diseases, A-Jalajel said. About 83% of the fatalities were among people who were not authorized to make the pilgrimage, he said.
"It's only by God's mercy that I survived, because it was incredibly hot," Aisha Idris, a Nigerian pilgrim, told the BBC.
More than 650 of those who died were Egyptian; at least two were American.
Hajj is the fifth of pillar of Islam, and all Muslims are expected to make the pligrimage at least once in their lives. Maryland residents Alieu Dausy Wurie, 71, and wife Isatu Tejan Wurie, 65, spent $23,000 on an all-inclusive travel package through a tour company registered in the state.
“They saved their whole lives for this,” Saida Wurie told CNN.
Maryland couple's death ruled 'natural causes'
Wurie told CNN her parents were in Saudi Arabia when she learned via the family group chat that the tour company did not provide the proper transportation or credentials to be authorized for the pilgrimage. A man on their tour group contacted Saida Wurie to say her parents were missing on Mount Arafat after her father said that he could not continue.
Wurie said she was later contacted by U.S. Consulate officials in Jeddah saying they were notified by the Saudi Interior Ministry that her parents had died of "natural causes." The State Department, contacted by USA TODAY, would say only that "we can confirm the deaths of multiple U.S. citizens in Saudi Arabia. We offer our sincerest condolences to the families on their loss. We stand ready to provide all appropriate consular assistance."
Egypt to prosecute tourism companies
Egyptian officials said the high number of deaths, most of them among unregistered pilgrims, stemmed from some companies that used a "personal visit visa (that) prevents its holders from entering Mecca" via official channels.
Prime Minister Moustafa Madbouly ordered the revocation of licenses for 16 tourism companies that provided packages for Hajj pilgrims who were not registered for the event. He also instructed that the officials of these companies be referred to prosecutors and the companies be fined to compensate the families of the deceased pilgrims.
Authorities in Jordan said they, too, had detained several travel agents who arranged unofficial travel of Muslim pilgrims.
Hajj heat deaths:500 Egyptian pilgrims perish in 124-degree temps
Hajj has seen tragedy before
Catastrophic deaths at Hajj are not new. A stampede in 2015 killed more than 2,200 people, and another stampede in 1990 killed over 1,400 people. Four years later a stampede killed 270 people. A tent fire in 1997 killed 347. A protest turned violent in 1998, leading to the deaths of 400 pilgrims. In 2009, 77 pilgrims were killed in floods.
Contributing: Reuters
veryGood! (38691)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 'Can I go back to my regular job?' Sports anchor goes viral for blizzard coverage
- How new words get minted (Indicator favorite)
- Elon Musk says he will resign as Twitter CEO once he finds a replacement
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Unsafe streets: The dangers facing pedestrians
- Cultivated meat: Lab-grown meat without killing animals
- In the West, Signs in the Snow Warn That a 20-Year Drought Will Persist and Intensify
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Environmental Groups Don’t Like North Carolina’s New Energy Law, Despite Its Emission-Cutting Goals
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Tired of Wells That Threaten Residents’ Health, a Small California Town Takes on the Oil Industry
- Unclaimed luggage piles up at airports following Southwest cancellations
- Could you be eligible for a Fortnite refund?
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- In defense of gift giving
- Elon Musk says he will resign as Twitter CEO once he finds a replacement
- Fortnite maker Epic Games agrees to settle privacy and deception cases
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
China’s Industrial Heartland Fears Impact of Tougher Emissions Policies
The Postal Service pledges to move to an all-electric delivery fleet
AP Macro gets a makeover (Indicator favorite)
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
She was an ABC News producer. She also was a corporate operative
In Setback to Industry, the Ninth Circuit Sends California Climate Liability Cases Back to State Courts
Everything to Know About the Vampire Breast Lift, the Sister Treatment to the Vampire Facial