Current:Home > reviewsNorfolk Southern to end relocation aid right after one-year anniversary of its fiery Ohio derailment -WealthX
Norfolk Southern to end relocation aid right after one-year anniversary of its fiery Ohio derailment
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:52:22
Norfolk Southern railroad plans to stop paying relocation aid to people displaced by last February’s fiery derailment in eastern Ohio right after the one-year anniversary of the crash.
Railroad officials announced the change this week as they reiterated their long-term commitment to helping the town of East Palestine, Ohio, and the surrounding area near the Pennsylvania border recover. Norfolk Southern has committed more than $103 million in aid to the area, including nearly $21 million paid out directly to residents whose lives were upended by the derailment.
When the train careened off the tracks on the night of Feb. 3, several tank cars filled with hazardous chemicals ruptured, and their contents caught fire. Then a few days later officials blew open five more tank cars to keep them from exploding. The chemical spill left residents with lingering health worries about potential long-term effects.
With the completion of soil removal from the derailment site in October, the Atlanta-based railroad decided it was time to stop paying the expenses of people who still haven’t returned to their homes. A Norfolk Southern spokesman said fewer than 100 households are still receiving that aid because most residents have already returned to East Palestine.
“This program was always a temporary one for those residents who chose to relocate during the site remediation process,” spokesman Tom Crosson said.
The move to end relocation aid, which will take effect Feb. 9, had been rumored for months. But the decision still angered some residents like Jami Wallace, who posted online “Thank you NS for flipping another bird at residents.”
“It’s truly bad timing,” Wallace said in a message to The Associated Press. “Most were financially devastated by the derailment. It’s already a financially stressful time of year and now to worry about where you are going to live.”
The railroad is offering to pay to clean the homes of anyone who hasn’t returned home yet as long as they didn’t already take advantage of a similar program earlier. And for residents who decided to move, Norfolk Southern has offered to compensate them for any lost value in their homes as long as they agree to give up any other property damage claims against the railroad.
Norfolk Southern has estimated that its response to the derailment has already cost nearly $1 billion and that total will only grow as the cleanup continues, three funds it has committed to create are finalized and various lawsuits are addressed. But the railroad will get compensation from its insurers and likely other companies involved in the derailment to offset some of that cost.
Norfolk Southern CEO Alan Shaw said he knows there is still more work to do in East Palestine, but he is proud of the progress that has been made since the derailment.
“We’ll continue keeping our promises and listening to the community,” Shaw said. “Together, we’re focused on economic development to help the East Palestine community thrive for the long term.”
veryGood! (15)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Nico Collins' quiet rise with Texans reflects standout receiver's soft-spoken style
- From a ludicrously capacious bag to fake sausages: ‘Succession’ props draw luxe prices
- Texas congressman says migrants drowned near area where US Border Patrol had access restricted
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- MILAN FASHION PHOTOS: Simon Cracker’s upcycled looks are harmonized with dyeing. K-Way pops color
- Would you buy this AI? See the newest technology advancing beauty, medicine, and more
- Chiefs vs. Dolphins playoff game weather: How cold will wild-card game in Kansas City be?
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Steve Sarkisian gets four-year contract extension to keep him coaching Texas through 2030
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Mexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence
- U.S. launches another strike on Houthi rebels in Yemen
- Supreme Court to hear case on Starbucks' firing of pro-union baristas
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- From Berlin to Karachi, thousands demonstrate in support of either Israel or the Palestinians
- Packers QB Jordan Love helps college student whose car was stuck in the snow
- Dolphins vs. Chiefs weather: Saturday's AFC playoff may be one of coldest postseason games
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
NJ school district faces discrimination probe by US Department of Education
Indonesia’s Mount Marapi erupts again, leading to evacuations but no reported casualties
NJ school district faces discrimination probe by US Department of Education
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Mia Goth sued by 'MaXXXine' background actor for battery, accused of kicking his head: Reports
Holy Cow! Nordstrom Rack's Weekend Sale Has SKIMS, UGGs & Calvin Klein, up to 88% Off
Iran seizes oil tanker in Gulf of Oman that was recently at center of standoff with U.S.