Current:Home > InvestSuspect in 2022 Sacramento mass shooting found dead in jail cell, attorney says -WealthX
Suspect in 2022 Sacramento mass shooting found dead in jail cell, attorney says
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 21:10:19
One of the suspects in the mass shooting in downtown Sacramento, California, that killed 6 people and injured a dozen others in 2022 was found dead in a jail cell, his attorney said Sunday.
At about 2:15 a.m. on Saturday, deputies conducted a cell check at Sacramento County Main Jail and found an unresponsive inmate, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office said in a statement shared on X. Deputies then "immediately entered the cell and administered first-aid" as jail medical staff and the Sacramento Fire Department responded to the incident.
Crews then arrived and continued life-saving efforts but the sheriff's office said the 29-year-old male inmate was later pronounced dead at the jail.
In a statement to USA TODAY on Sunday, attorney Norman Dawson identified the man as Smiley Martin.
"It is most tragic that Mr. Martin passed away, fighting to defend his innocence in the preliminary hearing process," Martin said in the statement. "Mr. Martin’s defense team sends our deepest condolences to his family, and we are here to support the family going forward."
The Sacramento County Coroner's Office will determine the cause of death, the sheriff's office said, which will investigate the incident.
Authorities: Deadly 2022 shooting fueled by gang violence
A large fight broke out before the shooting outside the city's entertainment district on April 3, 2022, where bar patrons filled the streets. In all, the shooting left six people dead and 12 others injured.
More than 100 rounds were fired as people scattered and dove for cover, video of the incident showed. Authorities said the shooting was fueled by gang violence and involved at least five gunmen spraying bullets into a large crowd.
"This tragedy downtown is a very public example of what families in many of our neighborhoods know too well," Police Chief Kathy Lester said at the time. "The suffering inflicted by gang violence does not limit itself to gang members. It spills over to claim and shatter innocent lives and harm our entire community."
The Sacramento County Coroner's Office identified the three men and three women killed as Johntaya Alexander, 21; Melinda Davis, 57; Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21; Sergio Harris, 38; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; and De'vazia Turner, 29.
Martin, who was 27 at the time, was one of the injured people found at the scene, allegedly took a live video on Facebook hours before the shooting and brandished a handgun. He faced charges of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and possession of a machine gun.
His brother, Dandrae, 26 at the time, was also injured and taken into custody. He faced charges of assault with a deadly weapon and illegal firearms possession. A third man, Daviyonne Dawson, was also arrested in connection to the shooting.
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci, USA TODAY
veryGood! (56891)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Elton John Details Strict Diet in His 70s
- Taylor Swift gifts 7-year-old '22' hat after promising to meet her when she was a baby
- Record-setting dry conditions threaten more US wildfires, drinking water supplies
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had a stroke earlier this month, is expected to make full recovery
- The Latin Grammys are almost here for a 25th anniversary celebration
- Record-setting dry conditions threaten more US wildfires, drinking water supplies
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- At age 44, Rich Hill's baseball odyssey continues - now with Team USA
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Lunchables get early dismissal: Kraft Heinz pulls the iconic snack from school lunches
- Military veteran gets time served for making ricin out of ‘curiosity’
- Crews battle 'rapid spread' conditions against Jennings Creek fire in Northeast
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Inspector general finds no fault in Park Police shooting of Virginia man in 2017
- ‘COP Fatigue’: Experts Warn That Size and Spectacle of Global Climate Summit Is Hindering Progress
- Vegas Sphere reports revenue decline despite hosting UFC 306, Eagles residency
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
US Congress hopes to 'pull back the curtain' on UFOs in latest hearing: How to watch
Best fits for Corbin Burnes: 6 teams that could match up with Cy Young winner
Crews battle 'rapid spread' conditions against Jennings Creek fire in Northeast
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
California teen pleads guilty in Florida to making hundreds of ‘swatting’ calls across the US
Arbitrator upholds 5-year bans of Bad Bunny baseball agency leaders, cuts agent penalty to 3 years
Homes of Chiefs’ quarterback Mahomes and tight end Kelce were broken into last month