Current:Home > MyFormer porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed -WealthX
Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 17:08:30
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A former porn shop worker who was accused by North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson of defamation has asked a court to throw out the lawsuit against him, calling the politician’s allegations “bizarre” and his demand for at least $50 million in damages a violation of civil court rules.
Robinson, the Republican nominee for governor, filed a lawsuit in Wake County court Tuesday against CNN and Louis Love Money, of Greensboro, saying they published “disgusting lies” about him.
The lawsuit identified a CNN report last month that Robinson made explicit racial and sexual posts on a pornography website’s message board more than a decade ago. Weeks before CNN’s report, Money alleged in a music video and in a media interview that for several years starting in the 1990s, Robinson frequented a porn shop Money was working at, and that Robinson purchased porn videos from him.
Attorneys for Money, in filing a dismissal motion Wednesday, said that Robinson’s lawsuit violated a procedural rule that requires that a person seeking punitive damages state initially a demand for monetary damages “in excess of $25,000.”
The motion said the rule is designed to “prevent excess demands from leaking publicly in the media and tainting the judicial process.” Violating the rule, attorneys Andrew Fitzgerald and Peter Zellmer wrote, may “have been for the very purpose of creating media attention for Mr. Robinson’s campaign.”
Otherwise, the attorneys also are seeking a dismissal on the grounds that the allegations in the lawsuit, even if they were true, fail to establish a cause of action against Money.
“The complaint contains many impertinent and bizarre allegations,” they wrote.
Asked for a response to the motion, Robinson’s campaign referred to Tuesday’s news release announcing the lawsuit. In it, Robinson said claims from “grifters like Louis Love Money are salacious tabloid trash.”
Money on Tuesday said he stood by what he had said as truthful. CNN declined to comment on the lawsuit when it was filed and had not responded to it in court as of midday Thursday.
Robinson is running against Democratic nominee Josh Stein in the campaign to succeed term-limited Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper.
The CNN report led many fellow GOP elected officials and candidates, including presidential nominee Donald Trump, to distance themselves from Robinson’s gubernatorial campaign. Most of the top staff running Robinson’s campaign and his lieutenant governor’s office quit following the CNN report, and the Republican Governors Association stopped supporting Robinson’s bid.
The network report said it matched details of the account on the message board to other online accounts held by Robinson by comparing usernames, a known email address and his full name. CNN also reported that details discussed by the account holder matched Robinson’s age, length of marriage and other biographical information.
The lawsuit alleges that CNN published its report despite knowing, or recklessly disregarding, that Robinson’s personal data was previously compromised by data breaches.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Judge rejects effort by Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson to get records from Catholic church
- NeNe Leakes Shares Surprising Update on Boyfriend Nyonisela Sioh—and if She Wants to Get Married Again
- Alec Baldwin's Rust Shooting Trial Dismissed With Prejudice
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Moms swoon over new 'toddler Stanleys.' But the cups have been around for years.
- Potentially dozens of Democrats expected to call on Biden to step aside after NATO conference
- Bananas, diapers and ammo? Bullets in grocery stores is a dangerous convenience.
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards 2024 are this weekend: Date, time, categories, where to watch
Ranking
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Harrison Butker Reacts to Serena Williams' Dig at 2024 ESPYs
- The Daily Money: Take action: huge password leak
- AT&T says hackers accessed records of calls and texts for nearly all its cellular customers
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Paris Olympics ticket scams rise ahead of the summer games. Here's what to look out for.
- RHOA Alum NeNe Leakes Addresses Kenya Moore's Controversial Exit
- Gang used drugs, violence to commit robberies that led to four deaths, prosecutors say
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Hospitality workers fired after death of man outside Milwaukee Hyatt
Progressives look to Supreme Court to motivate voters in 2024 race
Pecans are a good snack, ingredient – but not great for this
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Chicago exhibition center modifying windows to prevent bird strikes after massive kill last year
Evictions surge in Phoenix as rent increases prompt housing crisis
Poland’s centrist government suffers defeat in vote on liberalizing abortion law